Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Emotional, Physical and Relational Health

Over the years, I've gone through a variety of health cycles.  Sometimes I exercise and eat right.  Sometimes I do one but not the other.  Sometimes I do both and even get enough sleep.  Sometimes,  none of those things happens and I don't take care of myself at all...like when I was totally broken.  I was a mess, barely wanting to survive. 

In my head, I know the best scenario is to eat a well balanced, fairly clean diet combined with weight training, getting enough rest and do some heart pumping exercises which I generally hate.  However, sometimes getting from head knowledge to practical application is a really l - o - n - g stretch.  Well, today was the first time in at least 3 months I had a great workout.  (If we talk about a good workout on a consistent schedule, well, that's a whole different story!  ...like a couple years.)  I have someone else to thank for this, a friend who hasn't given up on me.

I accepted an invitation to workout because I know the time has come to jump back on the wagon and care about me.  I have a follow up in place with the friend and an adjustment in my work schedule to  accommodate and continue following the plan.  The funny thing is, better I take care of me which may seem selfish, the better I feel both physically and emotionally and therefore the more useful I can be to my loved ones.  When I feel better, I am able to love more.  I can do more with higher levels of confidence which I get as I eat right, exercise more and continue to take care of me.  As I transition from the way we have been eating, you can read that as grab whatever you can find fast, to meal planning and eating more whole unprocessed foods, the health of my family will also improve.  All these things, emotional, physical and relational health, go together.

Despite the snow, spring is here.  Call a friend and plan a walk this week.  Try 5 or 10 minutes to start.  I hope you are glad you did it!  I was.  I'm looking forward to Friday.  See you at the gym, friend.

Copyright
 

If you copy this, please be fair and respectful of my work by posting a link so that others may know your source.  If I knowingly quote someone, I will do my best to share the source.
  
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment