Sunday, August 3, 2014

Starting Points

Have you ever had to look at the reality of a situation and really accept it?  ...own it.  ...take full responsibility for it?  It can be hard, really hard.  I've spent the last 2 weeks looking at my finances and analyzing my situation.  It has forced me to:

1.  Take ownership for where I am today.
2.  Admit that I've made mistakes.  (...a whole lot of little ones plus a few doozies add up to present day reality, YIKES!)
3.  Formulate an action plan.  (This could be called a budget.)
4.  Look for means to reduce expenses and preferably do it without sacrificing quality of life or services.  (This may mean change and change is ok.)
5.  Look for means to increase income.
6.  Follow the action plan.  In my case I am using software called YNAB to assist.  Here is a link: http://ynab.refr.cc/FWSB6PV

This process has been good for me.  When one is forced to be fully responsible, can anything other than growth occur?  I'm now prioritizing and looking at both short and long term goals.  Yes, it started simply a numbers thing, but it really got me started asking myself questions about where I want to be in a year, 5, 10 and so on.

In my future, am I planning to live day to day?  Will I be able to live or vacation near the beach in the dead of winter?  What about helping people?  Has my lack of financial responsibility kept me from helping people?  Can I change this course?  I want the freedom to plan and make these decisions.  I want the freedom to be my own boss and to work with the people I love in an industry or industries I love.  What steps do I need to take today, tomorrow and every day after to make this happen?  This is what looking at the numbers has done for me.

Isn't it funny how when one's awareness in one area of life is heightened, it awakens the senses in others too?  What else do I want to evaluate...  How do I spend my time each day?  Diet and exercise?  My words, do they build up or tear down?  What's on your list?  

1 comment:

  1. You took the words right from my mind. Sometimes you just have to take full responsibility for where you've ended up and accept the reality of it even if it's hard to confront. Then you can make small "quilt squares" of change until you can be more cause over things, instead of just the affect of your surroundings.
    Very inspiring words,
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete