Monday, August 4, 2014

Quilts Versus a Quilt Block

I have to admit there are times I just get stuck and can't get something finished.  The lack of completion frustrates me!  It doesn't matter if it is a household project or task, a creative piece I'm working on, a garden bed or a quilt, but the latter has helped me to see that I need to take things in steps and baby steps are ok.

I love making quilts, but I often find them unfinished in pieces in various storage areas around my house.  When I stop and think it through.  I find I accomplish much more when I don't set my thoughts on, I'm going to make a quilt today, but rather I'm going to make a quilt block today or design a layout today or cut or wash fabric today.

When I break things out into steps, any task becomes much more manageable and doable.  The goal becomes attainable rather than frustrating.  I can see the progress and that makes me happy.  Let me illustrate with a series of steps to making a quilt.  Others may not do things in this order, but its what I like to do.

I'd like to make a baby quilt.

1.  Look through my fabric stash and select pieces that will work with the idea roaming around in my brain.
2.  Determine the size and shape of the quilt I intend to make this time.  Sometimes I plan them to be a baby gift that might be more useful as a toddler bedspread because perhaps I know someone else is making something smaller.  Sometimes they are square and sometimes rectangle.  I haven't made a circular one yet, but someday that's likely to happen because I like circles.
3.  Take a trip to the fabric store.  Get inspired by what I find that matches what I already have.
4.  Design the layout on paper.  Determine if there will be embroidery.
5.  Calculate the yardage and prepare cutting diagram.  Allow a little extra for errors or design changes...be flexible.  :-) 
6.  Purchase fabric.
7.  Wash fabric.
8.  Press fabric.
9.  Cut fabric.
10.  Embroider as needed.
11.  Begin the process of making patterned blocks.  One at time or with repetition of steps to facilitate faster piecing.  It depends on the project.
12.  Attach the blocks together.
13.  Attach any borders.
14.  Add batting and backing.
15.  Pin layers together.
16.  Design or decide on the quilting pattern.
17.  Do the quilting.
18.  Select and attach binding.  (I hate this step.  This is often why quilts don't get done at my house.  I'm working on a solution to my dislike for attaching binding.)
19.  Take pictures of quilt.
20.  Wrap it up and send it off.  :-)

...that made me tired just going through the steps!

So, as I've been thinking about things these last few weeks, whether it be budget, cleaning - I'm purging a lot from my house, or trying to relax with one of my hobbies, I have decided to look at things from a quilting perspective.  Do I want to focus on the quilt or just a block today?  On any given day, breaking things down to a single block is much more attainable and leaves me knowing that I met my goal and knowing what the next step will be for tomorrow or the day after.

...a funny thing about this blog is that I realized it was a quilt block rather than a quilt.  I hadn't posted here in about 3 months.  I've had one entry I've been working on that I just couldn't finesse.  It left me frustrated.  I'd come back to it and try again and get stuck again.  I realized that I can just let it rest in the storage space and go on to the next block or blocks for now.  It'll still be there later.  Maybe it'll sit and wait for a new design, but in the mean time, I can make other blocks...that sets me free.


No comments:

Post a Comment